top of page

Acceptable Noise Levels | Metro Strata

Metro Strata

Jul 10, 2023

Alleged violations of acceptable noise levels are a common disagreement amongst residents living within a strata property. What is acceptable?

Noise disputes are common among residents of strata properties. Local councils typically have regulations governing permissible noise levels - for instance, consider the policies of Bayside Council.

Bayside Council enforces time restrictions on different sources of domestic noise:

1.) Power Tools & Equipment: 8 pm to 8 am on Sundays and public holidays; 8 pm to 7 am on other days.

2.) Musical Instruments & Sound Systems: 12 midnight to 8 am on Fridays, Saturdays, and the day before a public holiday; 10 pm to 8 am on other days.

3.) Air-Conditioners: 10 pm to 8 am on Saturdays, Sundays, or public holidays; 10 pm until 7 am on other days.

4.) Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving premises): 8 pm to 7 am from Monday to Friday; 8 pm to 8 am on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays.

5.) Refrigeration units fitted to motor vehicles: 8 pm to 7 am from Monday to Friday; 8 pm to 8 am on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays.

These restrictions are usually similar across metropolitan Sydney. Check your local council's website to confirm.

If you suspect a neighbor is violating these noise restrictions, follow these steps:

1.) Attempt to resolve the issue personally. Speak to your neighbor calmly and informally - they may not realize how far the noise is traveling. Most people are happy to correct the situation once made aware.

2.) If the noise offense is severe or occurs at night, like a loud party, you have the right to involve the police. They can issue a Noise Abatement Direction if they find the noise excessively intrusive.

3.) Should your neighbor fail to amend their behavior, you can escalate the complaint to your building's Strata Committee. Document the issue in a letter to them. If approved, they may instruct Metro Strata to intervene.

4.) As Strata Managers, Metro Strata will remain neutral but can take actions like forwarding the complaint to the offending party and property owner/agent if it's a rental. The accused can then either deny the allegations or apologize formally.

5.) If the issue remains unresolved, we can issue a Section 45 Notice to Comply, enforceable via penalty fines from the Consumers Traders and Tenancy Tribunal, given the Committee approves.

6.) As a last resort, you can seek an order from the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT). It's crucial to have well-documented evidence of the offense for this, including specific times, dates, police event numbers, photos, and witness testimonies.

For further assistance with noise disputes, please contact your Strata Manager at Metro Strata, but remember, we must maintain neutrality in all potential legal violations.

bottom of page